> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:57:07 -0400
> From: ren...@olgiati-in-paraguay.org
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior
>
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:03:45 +0100
> Andrew & Bridget <andrew_brid...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

 > > Completely useless for the vast majority who only want to
quickly open a camera-produced .jpeg, rotate, crop and rescale it, and
never work on it again.

> > So why use GIMP ?

 Because I have been using it (mainly to quickly open a camera-produced
.jpeg, rotate, crop and rescale it, and never work on it again) for over
 15 years.

> Because it is the only serious image manipulation prog for Linux.

Can I share my story?  Prior to GIMP I had three separate applications for
image manipulation:

- MS Paint (no further explanation)
- iPhoto Plus v3.? (reportedly bundled with my dad's first scanner).  This was
capable of cropping, color curves adjustment, resize/rotate with resampling,
but did not support newer popular file formats like GIF or PNG.
- LView Pro v4.? (before their devs went to a timed trialware model).  This
supported JPG, GIF (with transparency but not animation), and PNG, also had a
unique YCC-based invert command, but otherwise its feature set was pretty
limited.  No interactive color curves, for one.

So depending on what I had to do in particular I would need to open up to three
apps, and I couldn't always share image clipboard data between them.

GIMP saved me a lot of time in that it was capable of doing everything I used
these other apps for.  Despite a few breaking changes (though the save/export
issue is a big change conceptually, IN PRACTICE the biggest breaking change to
my personal workflow was a minor adjustment to the behavior of selections from
2.2 to 2.4), it is still the best tool I've found for what I do, XCF or
otherwise.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com