So, to give an analogy, if you are working on a surface with no alpha channel,
you can simply swap to the background color to "erase" something you've drawn
(which is also precisely what the Eraser tool does if there's no alpha
channel!), right?

Okay, I think I understand.  You know how the Eraser option uses an Alt key
modifier for "Anti-erase"?  Maybe add something similar to the
Pencil/Paintbrush tools - Alt key activates an "anti paint" mode.  The
difference between this and switching to the Eraser tool outright is that the
Eraser tool might have separate tool options (dynamics, etc.).

I can support that having a keyboard modifier to do something on an arbitrary
basis is indeed slightly faster than going to the toolbox and switching tools.
Heck, it's still faster than swapping a Wacom pen around for the other end.

-- Stratadrake
List address:
List membership: