I figured it out folks.  Hope it might help others.  I had to reboot my
box earlier. Sure enough as I feared the tablet did not work.  The right
mods were loaded all the log files looked right.  Couldn't figure it
out.  Then, I got a thought.  I picked up the wacom mouse off tablet and
moved it away.  When I returned it to the tablet, it was working.
Stylus as well.  Bizarre....

Geoffrey wrote:
> I hate when this happens.
>
> I've got it working now.  My tablet, stylus and wacom mouse as well as
> my ps2 mouse. I don't dare attempt to move both mice at the same time. :)
>
> Both the stylus and wacom mouse work with GIMP and X.  I could actually
> use the stylus as my mouse in X, although that doesn't seem practical.
>
> Problem is, I don't know what I did that I didn't do before. This last
> attempt, I started by adding the debugging option to xfree for the wacom
> devices.  I restarted my xserver and then started checking out the xfree
> log.  I noted that it was getting huge, so I logged out of X and killed
> the x server.  From the console, I re-edited my config file commenting
> out the debug statments.  I restarted X and when I got it back up, I
> just happened to move the stylus and noticed my cursor moved.
>
> Now the only difference I know of is this.  In previous attempts, I
> restarted the xserver from the kdm login dialog box, where as this last
> time, I did an explicit 'killall kdm' from the console.  That's the only
> thing I can figure made the difference.  I would expect X to reread the
> config file when you restart it though.
>
> Thanks to all for the assistance.
>
> Sam Jones wrote:
>
>>> I appreciate you sharing your config, I've found some differences and
>>> made some changes.  Still, I'm receiving the following error:
>>>
>>> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event0
>>>     No such device.
>>>

>> Another good guide is the Wacom-USB Micro Howto.  The section dealing
>> with creating device files is
>> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Wacom-USB-mini-HOWTO-4.html
>>

>>> Similar:
>>>
>>> usb.c: registered new driver wacom
>>> wacom.c: v1.21.2 Vojtech Pavlik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> wacom.c: USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver
>>> input0: Wacom Graphire2 4x5 on usb1:4.0
>>> usb.c: wacom driver claimed interface ce154900
>>>

>> I think things look good from your kernel.
>>

>>> But I'm not getting the mouse output.  One note I've still got my
>>> ps/2 mouse functioning, but it was my understanding that both mice
>>> should work.
>>>

>> You are right in that X will respond to either the graphics tablet or
>> the ps/2 mouse.  I should add that I don't have the Wacom mouse.  I
>> only know my configuration works for the stylus.
>>
>> When I first got the my tablet, I let Kudzu handle it, and it
>> installed it
>> as a USB mouse.  This meant I couldn't use my ps/2 mouse, and the
>> tablet worked without pressure or tilt sensitivity.  If I remember
>> correctly, the wacom drivers weren't even in place.
>>

>>> What are the required modules for this thing?  I've got the following:
>>>
>>> wacom
>>> evdev
>>> input
>>> usb
>>> usbcore

--
Until later: Geoffrey           [EMAIL PROTECTED]