On Tuesday 29 October 2002 01:50 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I want to use Gimp for work on photo files(.tiff) and I have a
> question what about CMYK mode in Gimp ? How  can I make me sure that
> my photo will be good when it will be printed in magazine ? I want to
> give my work to a profesional print office and they say : You must
> work in CMYK mode( like in Photoshop) or have a CMYK preview. How can
> it be done in Gimp ? Please, help me

You can't, and this is the major shortcoming of Gimp. It is possible
to convert to CMYK at the end of the process, but given the difference
in gamut between the RGB and CMYK versions of the same image the
quality of the result can be best described as uncertain. In an
earlier post I discussed the program pnmtotiffcmyk which will indeed
create a cmyk version of the file. However the colors do shift. This
is especially problematic in photos of people involving flesh tones.

The Gimp manual addresses this issue in chapter 13.

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters, Rowse Reviews, Culleton Editorial