* and then Sven Neumann declared....
> Hi,
>
> Nick Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > * and then Sven Neumann declared....
> > >
> > > I suggest you update to 1.3.21 first. This version introduces a much
> >
> > Hmmm.. tried but no joy. Can't seem to get fontconfig 2.2 installed...
>
> Let us know what problems you had exactly and we will try to help you.
> However it shouldn't be necessary to install fontconfig from source,
> there should be binary packages for all major distributions.
>
> > > nicer way of stoking based on libart2. What I suggest you do is to
> > > create paths from the text object (there's a button in the text tool
> > > options). Then on an empty layer above the text layer, invoke
> > > "Edit->Stroke Path" and choose a suitable stroke width.
> >

> > Well, I tried your solution and it's undoubtably a more elegant
> > approach but I still get the same result.
>
> You can hardly try my suggestion if you didn't update to 1.3.21.
> The version you are using doesn't have the new stroking yet (see
> http://sven.gimp.org/stroke-dialog.png).

Ah, well nearly then. I chose Edit > Stroke /selection/ not /path/ ;-)

> > Could there be somting wrong with my brushes? - Seems that whatever
> > I chose I get this thick default...?
>
> Perhaps you could describe how you are selecting the brush. You are
> setting the brush in the paint tool, aren't you? The paintbrush is
> active while you are stroking?

Ahhhhh.. this appears to be it. I had not activated the brush tool. Of
course it makes sense once pointed out but it didn't even occor to me.
When I have it activated I click the brush I want in the tool options
panel and then when I hit edit I get a new option: "Stroke active path"
which seems to do a great job.

Much thanks!

I'll post seperately re installing 3.21, thanks again..

--
Nick W