HI there.

My "filter all layers" on GIMP 1.2.5 here has two action buttons at
the bottom "apply constant" and "apply varying". You are describing
the effects of Apply Constant. Wit apply varying it pops up the
window of the desired filter (pixelate, in this case), perform it on
the bottom layer and pops up a second time the filter window, perform
it on the top layer, and finally displays a confirmation box, that,
when accepted performs varying the parameter.

I tested it before answering your e-mail, earlier ...works just fine.

Regards,
        JS
        -><-