Ah...
One of the things I plan to do in the GIMP is to change this "filter
all layers" to do just that.

Unfortunnatelly, work reasons had made me postpone my gimp stuff.

The idea is to use exactly this filter all layers framework, but
instead of applying the filters varying over several layers, I 'do
the following:
Have the user select a mapping (grayscale) drawable, like many of the
mapping filters do. (in your example, it could be a gradient with
black in the left to white in the right). Them, the plugin would make
a selection by color for each gray level on the mapping drawable, and
apply the filters using that selection on the drawable, varying
parameters just like filter all layers do.

Since that is not done, and you want this for now, a python script fu
can e hacked to do that (pixelize gradually from left to right, not
the generic stuff I want). Is your gimp-python stuff working? If so,
I can write this for you. (and use a newsprintifier version for
myself :-) )