JB,
Here's sort of what I was going for.
http://epierce.freeshell.org/pics/pixelate.jpg

Actually, this wasn't so hard to do by hand (now that I've tried it).
It's a little off from what I was after (I wanted all the blocks to be
perfect squares), but this more or less works.

A script-fu might pull this off well...  Some kind of gradually increasing
pixel effect from one direction to the other.  I'll work one up once I
have a moment... a moment to learn script-fu better that is.

Thanks.
Eric Pierce