On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 02:38:12PM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> I find that my current monitor (Orion 17 inch OC-17DB0725)
> has adjustments for brightness and contrast but none for
> gamma.  The venerable Gimp User Manual (GUM) offers
> instructions for making at least a crude Gamma adjustment.
> But my monitor has no such adjustment.  and when I load the
> file recommended by the GUM I find that my monitor is at
> the high end of the scale for gamma.

The best is to adjust the gamma within the Xfree software.
There is an application called kgamma and a plugin for gkrellm to do
such an adjustement.

You can alsao use lprof to create a profile for your monitor. lprof
allows you to have a separate gamma for each of the RGB channels. Then
you can use this profile with the 'color proof' filter within the Gimp.

> Is there a monitor at a reasonable cost, a few hundreds of
> dollars, that allows for adjustment of gamma? Bearing in
> mind the limitations of Gimp in the color management area,
> what is suggested? I just want to get things close enough
> that what I send to the printer will bear some relationship
> to what I see on the screen in Gimp, allowing for (of
> course) the conversion to CMYK at some point.
> --
> John Culleton
> Able Typesetters and Indexers
> http://wexfordpress.com