Hi...
I think it  a conceptual error wanting 300DPI screenshots - Maybe not -
but wait  second - the GIMP interface is designed to  be displayed at typical
monitor resolutions -  from 72 to 96 dpi.

On the other hand, a monitor will have 15'' to 17'' inhes, and your print out
of a screenshot should be a few inches accross - so the 1000 pixels wide, 15
inch at  96 dpi screenshot would make for a 5 inch wide ate 300dpi screenshot
- no matter.

If you do intend to actually make printouts of 15'', 17'' in paper,
nonetheless, a "real world" screen shot will do - the interface text may
appear aliased or blurred in a good quality printing - but hey---that's how
it looks like on the screen. :-) And on top of that,  you may still try to
increase the quality of a screenshot scaled up to 3000 pixels using the Gimp
itself, if there is the need.

One last thing - if you actually can find a 3000 pixel screenshot, the
interface - at least the icons - will appear proportionally small - you won't
be able to achieve better icons than from a 1024x768 screenshot.

Anyway, you may be planning something different, that I had not grasped at
all.  But if you are after "300dpi screenshots" just because the clerk at
your printshop told you so, the way to go is to scale up a plain screenshot.

regards,

        JS
        -><-