Nick Wilson wrote:
* and then olivier ripoll declared....

I think the following tutorial corresponds more or less to what you want to achieve.

The problem of loosing pixels you had with you dog and with your sister would be easily avoided if:

1- You always work on a copy (thus you can get the lost data back).

Ahhhh... ok!

A way can be to duplicate the original layer and to work on the copied layer. Thus, by playing with the layer visibility, you can compare the original and the result... and copy back deleted pixels.

2- You use either the layer mask or the quickmask, as I explained yesterday. The eraser is definitely not the good tool for what you want.

Right, do you think that photo is now rubbish? do i need to start over
from the beggining?

No, but you will not obtain a final good result with only the eraser or the magic wand selection tool. At some point you need a tool where you can select and deselect easily, on a pixel-per-pixel level, and with a border that will be "feathered" (smooth). The quickmask, with the paint brush tool and a smooth small round brush (1, 3 or 5 pixels diameter) is the perfect tool.
Another tutorial of quickmask can be found here:

I do not know if you plan to add a background behind you dog and sister in the image file, or if you want to use the background of your website, but in the second case, you will have to use RGB PNG and the trick given here:
to have it displayed correctly in IE Win32.

>>PS: Your sister looks great! (forgive me, I am French ;) )
> hehe, that's why she's the model, i want this site to make $$$s.... hehe
> ;-)
My credit card number is 1234 5678 9012 3456 ;)
You can even improve the photo with this trick: