On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:44:52PM -0800, Barton Bosch wrote:
> What are the best ways to take an image of a straight line and bend
> it into an s-curve with The GIMP?  I have tried the perspective and
> shear tools as well as the distort->curve bend filter without
> producing an ideal result.
i have had limited success with Filters -->Map -->Map Object.

you can play with all sorts of variables, in the dialogs and also with
the image you are mapping.

both the cylinder and the sphere do some interesting curving.

it is a plug-in that you must be patient with and try a lot of different
things with.  it is also the only plug-in that i pushed my "Reset all
Plug-Ins" option for as it does not (yet) have its own reset button.

it has recently been crashing on Map to Box when you move it along the z
axis, but not everyone has been able to reproduce this crash.

notice and play with the tabs.  give the plug-in what it wants.  it will
not give you what you wanted, but the result is not bad and you can try
it again giving it more or less space.

or you can brush up on your polar coordinate options and use Filter
-->Distorts -->Polar Coords.  i didnt like these in mathematics and i am
not so good with them in graphical design either.

i hope this helps,