On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:05:21PM +0100, Beatriz Botero wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 03:29:15PM +0100, Beatriz Botero wrote:
> >
> >i am now using gap successfully and xanim is not installed here.  please
> >make certain you have installed the supporting software that is listed in
> >the README file and avoid using xanim to extract frames with.  unless you
> >dont want the blue chanel ....
> >
> please excuse the long absence time, as I was outdoors spending some
> holydays.
> I upgraded the Gimp-gap to version 2.0.2 and installed, without
> problems,  the following packages:
> mpeg2vidcodec_12 (MPEG-2 Encoder / Decoder, Version 1.2)
> mpeg_encode-1.5b
> mpeg_play-2.4
> wavplay-1.4
> MPlayer-1.0pre6
> However, if I try to open Xtns -> Split video to frames -> Hummingbird.avi
> (from http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/techniques/photographs/movies/) the
> Gimp gives the same error message about Xanim instead working with the
> above mentioned programs. Xanim istn't installed at all !
> The avi file works in MPlayer without problems.
> Thanks for your assistance
there should be two options in the Xtns -->Split Video to Frames Menu,
"Any XANIM readable" which uses XANIM and "Extract Videorange" which
uses MPlayer.

use "Extract Videorange".  that hummingbird.avi came from a tutorial
about my first time with gap which was interesting.  my later experience
and better experiences with gap can be found here: