On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:08:03AM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:46:47 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Jonathan D Gibbons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> > Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GimpShop
> >
> > Now, what I think would be really wonderful along these lines would be a
> > setup whereby The Gimp can be easily "skinned" to a rearranged UI like
> > this.
> That is a whole lot of maintainance work, way more than you might think.
> I would hope optimistically that things could be adjusted to work well for
> all kinds of users and I think it would be better to make efforts to
> improve the defaults first (but developers will spend time on whatever
> they are most interested in).
> If it is possible to make these kinds of changes and enough people are
> interested it will probably happen (like it just did) so it makes sense to
> try and allow it (and do so in a way that can be maintained) rather than
> telling people to fork if they do not like the user interface.
> I think the point about finding menu items is worth considering but we
> already deal with users in various langauges (and therefore different
> lables for the same things) and I think this problem could be reduced if
> the PDB Browser could be improved to allow users to search for things more
> easily.

Given that all the string changes in GimpShop occured in translatable
strings, one wonders why patching the source was needed at all. The only
other changes were to the menu files, which have been external since the
change to GtkUIManager.

In fact, with a slight change to GIMP to make the location for the menu
files locale aware, one could make a en_US.pshop locale and dist just
the .po and .xml files instead of having to track the entire source code

Ironically, I note that gimpshop doesn't appear to use the ps-menurc
file by default.