Hello,

I recently upgraded to GIMP 2.2 from 2.0, and I have found that I couldn't print anything anymore. The printing process would start (the calculation bar under the image running to 100%), but then nothing would be sent to the printer (I left it on for hours, but nothing happened). The printer, using CUPS, would remain idle.

So I decided to renew my printer software and installed gimp-print 5.0 beta2, the most recent CUPS version etc. Printing from other programs works well, but while the installed GIMP 2.2.0 does use the new version of gimp-print (configured with gimp2, cups, foomatic, ghostscript), the error persists. So I decided to try the version 2.2.4. This wil not compile; configure stopped the first time saying that gimpprint-config was 4.2.6 while gimp-print 5.0 was found, and I should remove the old version. I did that, and re-compiled gimp-print 5 just to be on the safe side. Now the old gimpprint-config is gone, but there isn't any new one, so configure now stops saying that there is no version of gimp-print at all. The prefixes used are standard, and there really is no gimpprint-config anywhere... But as I said, gimp-print 5 is used by gimp 2.2.0, it just doesn't actually print. Its interface shows etc.

So what this boils down to is two questions: what is going wrong with the printout in the installed GIMP version, and what can I do to make the newer GIMP version compile?

My system is SuSE 9.1, but I have installed so many things from source instead of SuSE rpms by now that it no longer resembles the original system very much. GIMP is not located in the /opt tree anymore but in /usr/local, for example, as is gimp-print - which had been working perfectly with 2.0.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Robin