> The time when I choose Gimp over Photoshop is when I
> create special effects and textures. Here Gimp clearly
> bits Photoshop. Especially when you combine the filter
> effects with Script-fu. Of course, you  can always buy
> extra filters for Photoshop but here I am comparing
> the default settings.

Yea I can appreciate the powering of scripting. GIMP is definately more
accessible to developers and customization as well. In Photoshop, I hardly ever
use filters. Layer styles give me almost everything I need... for my
applications.

> What's your problem with Gimp's png output.

Well I work on images for cellphone games (PNG's), and there is a lot of
attention paid towards PNG chunks, transparency, filesize, etc. In terms of
modifying the actual PNG data chunks I use a free tool called TweakPNG to do
this. It would be nice if graphics apps like GIMP, Paintshop, or Photoshop
would offer control over PNGs just like TweakPNG.

As well, reducing colours from a PNG palette by-eye is something I do daily. I
use a tool called Web Image Guru to do this. It can also be accomplished in
Photoshop (SaveForWeb). GIMP doesn't offer anything like it... the only way to
reduce colours of an Index image is converting  it to RGB then back to Index,
selecting a colour limit and then letting the software try it's best to whittle
the palette down (doing it by eye is better). Colour reduction matters when you
need to shave off 10's or 100's of BYTES off an Indexed image (one colour
removed can make the difference).