--- Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:28:48AM +0000, Kent Tong
> wrote:
> > Thanks for all who have replied. Yes, the Chinese
> problem is bogus. It works
> > as long as the LANG env variable is set.
> >
> it is interesting that the one time i saw anyone use
> this photoshop
> layers effect stuff, i was able to get TheGIMP to
> produce the same image
> in less than twenty minutes.  that was using a
> little knowledge of
> computer graphics (most of which i learned by
> working with TheGIMP).

 Carol,
You are right that there are ways of working around
solutions, but this is not the point. In reality, it
seldom happens, if ever, that you come up with an
idea, then sit down in front of your computer and
realize it in one shot.  Rather, artwork, even the
simplest ones like web page buttons are the result of
experimentation. And this is where the Adjustment
layer and the layer effects come in. Using them you
can experiment with various settings without changing
the set up of your layer structure. In addition, you
can edit your artwork, even months or years after
finishing it, simply by altering the Adjustment layer
or changing the layer effects parameters. For
instance, if I decide at some point that don't want
drop shadows anymore, I simply click on the layer
effect representing the shadow and I turn it off, or
add other effect if I want to. By the way Macromedia
Fireworks has similar tools but their implementation
is totally different; they call them Live Effects.
These are extremely useful tools that's why graphic
artists like them; they allow an efficient and
economical way of creating artwork. I think the Gimp
would benefit a great deal from similar features.

Regards,
jozsefmak