[please trim the subject line in your responses]

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Tom Williams wrote:

> Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 08:12:15 -0700
> From: Tom Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: gimp user <gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] when even free advertising fails
>
> Kalle Ounapuu wrote:
> > The bug-tracker serves it's purpose, but you can't expect everyone to be
> > reading it over before making any comment about GIMP.
>
> I agree.  People use Gimp (or try to) and have a problem or criticism and post
> their feedback here instead of filing bug/enhancement reports or looking to
> see
> what is already documented in Bugzilla, etc.
>
> > Maybe there are GIMP users who would love everyone to drop Photoshop (or
> > whatever) and use GIMP.
>
> You know, I'm not sure this is really the case.  At least not based on
> discussion I've seen on this mailing list.  I think a lot of frustration stems
> from people slamming Gimp for simply not looking, feeling, behaving, or
> tasting
> exactly like PhotoShop.  It's almost like if it's not PhotoShop, it's crap.

I think most users are frustrated by the gimp and less frustrated by
photoshop and the easiest way for them to express that is to make simple
comparisons rather than being able to suggest better ways to do things.

> The focus tends to be on what PhotoShop does that Gimp doesn't do and
> almost no mention is made of the things Gimp can do that PhotoShop
> can't.

What can the GNU Image Manipulation Program do that Adobe Photoshop cannot
do?  Please do tell.  I have recently pointed out that the gimp allows you
to have files with multiple layers in Indexed Mode and photoshop does not.
I would like to be able to expand on this list of things I know the gimp
can do better.

I would very sincerely be interested to know other things you can do with
the GNU Image manipulation program that cannot be done with other
software, particuarly things that cannot be done in Adobe Photoshop.

No need to go into the obvious well known issues of price, and Free
Software which although important have been discussed to death many times
before and are usually given as the best reasons for using the gimp (they
are very good reasons).

- Alan H.