On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 07:50:31PM +0300, Erika De Jesus wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
>
> >could you expand on the comparison for me?  i do not see any
> >similarities and i am interested to see what similarities you see
> >between the two separately licensed, separately funded softwares that do
> >completely different tasks on my computer.
> >
> >help me with this one ....
> >
> >carol
> >
> it's like this carol.
>
> firefox is expanded by millions of users worldwide by submitting themes,
> plugins, and extensions. i think pierre was talking about gimp should be
> the same. that it should also be expanded by users, since it is also
> open source.
> the comparison is:
> GIMP: open source app
> is to
> Firefox: open source app
>
> GIMP's plugins
> is to
> Firefox's extensions
>
> i hope i helped. :)

no, not really.

one is clearly gnu and the other is not so clearly mpl.  there is a
bunch of online discussions of the similarities between mpl and lgpl, so
many discussions that the big question of "if they are the same, what is
the reason for the existence of two documents".

one difference that just screams is the fact that gimp can make mng but
the "open source browser" cannot display them and the nice developers
that made a plug-in for this were scolded and it is no longer available.

millions of users with an mpl'ed voice, all working together ....

carol
http://spamusement.com/index.php/comics/view/243