On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:39:11PM -0600, Myke C. Subs wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> >
> >it is easy to build gimp-perl.  get the tarball and open it.
> >
> >type "perl Makefile.PL"
> >soon after type "make"
> >when that is completed, as root type "make install"
>
> I downloaded the tarball yesterday, opened it and attempted to install
> it.  I am not green with regard to installing from source.  I just don't
> prefer to do that with an RPM-based package like SuSE if it's not required.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> which gimp
> /opt/gnome/bin/gimp
>
> As root:
> ---------
> linux:/home/mykec/Downloads/TGZ/Gimp-2.0 # perl Makefile.PL
> checking for gimp-2.0... no
<--snipped-->
> *** The gimptool-2.0 script installed by GIMP could not be found
> *** If GIMP was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GIMPTOOL environment variable to the
> *** full path to gimptool-2.0.
> configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path
> (version 1.3.15+ required!)
>
> Can't find gimp?  It's in it's default SuSE RPM location.
> Make sure it's in my path?  Yep.  It's in my path.
>
> ??????

it needs gimptool.  on debian, this is provided by libgimp-dev.  they
split out the development packages so that (in theory) you can build
your own or use theirs.  the compiler needs to see gimptool for gimp and
the files ending in .h and .la for other software -- maybe more....

sorry, i forgot that part in the instructions.

carol