On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Carol Spears wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 07:56:57PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [12-06-05 17:52]:
> > >
> > > 5) look at /etc/ldconfig and make sure that "/usr/local/lib/" is in the
> > > list of paths there, if it isn't, add it.
> > >

> > there is *no* /etc/ldconfig in the SUSE distros.  There is an
> > executable, /sbin/ldconfig.
> >
> heh, well.  any clue the reason they did that?

Same in Ubuntu, the man ldconfig reads in part

ldconfig should normally be run by the super-user as it may require
write permission on some root owned directories and files. If  you  use  -r
option  to change  the  root directory, you don't have to be super-user
though as long as you have sufficient right to that directory tree.

So ldconfig as an executable is rightly placed in /sbin

However I think you are getting mixed up with /etc/ld.so.conf
I don't have one, but ldconfig 'still works' There is a ld.so.cache

/sbin/ldconfig is a binary file, so can't quickly tell what it is reading

Owen