On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:15:10PM +1100, Owen Cook wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Carol Spears wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 07:56:57PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [12-06-05 17:52]:

> > > there is *no* /etc/ldconfig in the SUSE distros.  There is an
> > > executable, /sbin/ldconfig.
> > >
> > heh, well.  any clue the reason they did that?
>

> Same in Ubuntu, the man ldconfig reads in part
>
> ldconfig should normally be run by the super-user as it may require
> write permission on some root owned directories and files. If  you  use  -r
> option  to change  the  root directory, you don't have to be super-user
> though as long as you have sufficient right to that directory tree.
>

> So ldconfig as an executable is rightly placed in /sbin
>
> However I think you are getting mixed up with /etc/ld.so.conf
> I don't have one, but ldconfig 'still works' There is a ld.so.cache
>
> /sbin/ldconfig is a binary file, so can't quickly tell what it is reading

i am fairly consistent with this typo.

thanks for the help.  i should write sentences maybe:

"ld.conf.so is the configuration file, ldconfig is the application that
needs the configuration file."

honestly, when needed which is not very often, i know it is in /etc/ and
starts with an l.  the naming is such that i can figure it out from
there.

thanks for the fix to what i wrote and you are welcome to the laugh i
probably provided.

carol