On 12/6/05, Myke C. Subs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> > it is easy to build gimp-perl.  get the tarball and open it.

> I downloaded the tarball yesterday, opened it and attempted to install
> it.  I am not green with regard to installing from source.  I just don't
> prefer to do that with an RPM-based package like SuSE if it's not required.

> checking for gimptool-2.0... no
> checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no
> *** The gimptool-2.0 script installed by GIMP could not be found
> *** If GIMP was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GIMPTOOL environment variable to the
> *** full path to gimptool-2.0.
> configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path
> (version 1.3.15+ required!)
> Can't find gimp?  It's in it's default SuSE RPM location.
> Make sure it's in my path?  Yep.  It's in my path.
> ??????

This requires your gimp development packages... probably gimp-dev or
libgimp-dev or whatever...

Debian (normal repositry, stable, testing, unstable) and Ubuntu
(universe repositry which must be uncommented in
/etc/apt/sources.list, warty, hoary, breezy, dapper) both have such
packages, called "libgimp-perl".  Check if there is a similarly named
package for your distro.  If not... well, *shrugs*.

Mind, if it's this much trouble, it may be more convienent to switch
to a distribution that has GIMP-Perl packages readily available, or
"borrow" their packaging system*.

Basically, the idea is that binary gimp packages (it's useful it
you're trying to save space - IIRC there seems to have been a recent
movement to split packages into as many depending-on-each-other
subpackages as possible) are trimmed to avoid headers - those are
sepearate.  As for compiling modules and the like, the package (in
both those distros) is called "libgimp2.0-dev".  I imagine you have a
should similiar package, with either that name or "libgimp2.0-devel",
I suppose.  (Haven't checked.)  If not, you can also get all the
development packages for all the libraries and build gimp itself from

If you have a nice package management system in your distro, you might
be able to search through the list of packages as such and install
them.  Try terms like "gimp-perl" or even just "gimp" (you may need to
repeat the search multiple times.

* This has many implications, and I haven't tried it myself.
Apparently it's been known that this "solution" can have dependency
issues because packages are spread over multiple packaging systems.

My apologies if my comments are unhelpful.  Hopefully you will resolve
your problem quickly.

 - Just the crazy copy cat.