Carol Spears wrote:

inspite of my couple of mistyped instructions, this should have worked.
i am curious if you have gimptool installed now after installing the
developer package from your distribution (was it suse?).

Nope. When I query YaST for "gimp" no such thing as "gimptool" appears as either being installed or available for install. Looks to be something completely foreign to SuSE 9.2 Professional that I'll have to hunt down. I'll try apt-get and see what turns up before I go a-hunting high and low.

i am trying to save face here and read the man page for pkg-config.
what does "pkg-config --modversion gimp-2.0" report?

No such thing as pkg-config on my system for either user or root.