On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:
> Hello,
> This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP
> users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's
> disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with
> the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both
> my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting
> and retouching pictures. I did this for 4-5 days, 3-4
> non-interrupted hours a day. I ended up with a strong pain in my
> wrist due to the inflammed tendons at the base of my thumb (De
> Quervain's disease). My right hand was practically inoperational
> for 2 1/2 months. A corticosteroid injection and a constant routine
> of ice and medication saved me from a wrist surgery. I could not
> believe a mouse could induce such damage to my hand while using
> H. Noriega

as already replied, all known painting software require the mouse
button to be pressed while painting.
However very few users actually go painting 4-5 hours uninterrupted -
of course, if that is a routine task, the first thing is to get an
appropriate mouse that will be more anatomical.  That should minimize

The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you
think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices
found in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic).
The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better
software> Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in
some respects.

What I ask of you is the following: use your experience and comunity
discussion to get to a nice proposal of how the interface could be
improved so that such an usage could be more pleasant. Then attach
what you get to to a feature request to the gimp (this can be done at

The GIMP is written and maintained by volunteers, so there is no
guarantee that whatever you suggest will be veer implemented - but
most likely, someone will be interested enough to take it ahead.