On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, yves wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:38:23 -0700
> From: yves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Alan Horkan' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] Please Change the Derogatory Name
> Can somebody explain what is 'wrong' with that name?
> Yves

"lameness: disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet"

This is the commonly understood meaning of the word for most English
speakers and it is considered derogatory, like calling someone a cripple.

Another less commonly used meaning - but well known from the film Pulp
Fiction (1994) - can be found here
The developers are very familiar with this meaning as it is referenced
in the following bug report they insist on leaving open
"Fun - GIMP becomes enraged upon donning of leather mask"
GIMP was started in 1995.

There are other meanings such as a type of knot or braid but I was
unfamiliar with those meanings until people tried to defend the name.