Owen Berry wrote:

On 9/30/06, Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"lameness: disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet"
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Agimp

This is the commonly understood meaning of the word for most English
speakers and it is considered derogatory, like calling someone a cripple.

English-speaking countries: There's also Australian English, British English, Indian English, South African English, West African English, etc............. .... and I believe the majority of English speakers are actually Indian. The Oxford (Compact) English dictionary gives the derogatory sense of the word as N.American. So does the dictionary.com link quoted in an earlier post.

There are quite a few native English speakers who have pointed out
that "gimp" means nothing to them, and I want to add myself to that
list.

Me, likewise. (neither from Aus or the US)

Can we get past this and agree that it's just a cultural issue,
and maybe generational as well. Not only did I never hear it in a
derogatory context in my own country, but after 8 years in the US I
haven't heard it used that way here either. Maybe people need to stop
speaking and thinking in such a derogatory fashion. Renew your minds!

Oh, and if the project was to be renamed, maybe it would be offensive
in some other language or culture.

Too true! there are plenty of hilarious accounts of commercial products with names that were highly offensive when exported.

English is not the only language on
the planet.

Owen (not from Aus)