Andrew ha scritto:

> I'm thinking of moving into the 21st century and getting a bottom-end
> digital reflex, preferably Pentax for the sake of nostalgia. Can anyone
> advise me from a technical point of view as to what I need in order to
> be able to get pictures into GIMP for editing? I use Slackware 11.

I think in general you should check that your camera produces files that
GIMP can open. If are considering something more than a point-and-shoot
camera, for example a reflex, and you want the best quality and
flexibility, sooner or later you will hear about RAW files. These are
not standard files, every manufacturer produces its own format. You
should check that a GIMP plugin like UFRaw can open RAW files created by
your camera in order to convert to tiff or jpeg. I am using my Nikon D80
without problems with GIMP and UFRaw on Linux.

Fabrizio