On Thursday 03 May 2007 10:03, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Andrew;
>
> [Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> @ Thu, 03 May 2007 15:54:17 +0200]
>
> > I'm thinking of moving into the 21st century and getting a
> > bottom-end digital reflex, preferably Pentax for the sake of
> > nostalgia. Can anyone advise me from a technical point of view as
> > to what I need in order to be able to get pictures into GIMP for
> > editing?
>
> In my opinion, the only thing _really_ worth paying attention to in
> relation to "the computer" / Gimp is making sure your camera is
> supported by dcraw [1], thus enabling you to read full-sized RAW
> pictures right off the device and do something useful to them
> without having to use the proprietary tool that usually comes with
> the camera. Everything else should be quite easy:
>
> * About storage, most of the DSLRs I know about run on CF cards,
> and you can get a decent USB card reader supporting CF and a bunch
> of other cards rather cheap nowadays.
>
> * Connecting directly to your machine (USB link between computer
> and camera), most cameras by now fortunately seem to be capable of
> being usb-storage, thus being handled more or less like an ordinary
> SCSI drive. There you go. ;)
>
> About Slackware, your mileage might vary as I don't know what
> drivers and/or features come packed with the distribution - running
> Ubuntu on various machines, and even my girlfriend (who does not
> really like computers that much, altogether) by now manages to
> easily transfer their digi-cam pictures to $HOME.
>
> Overally, however, choosing a DSLR you probably should focus on
> other technical aspects of the camera itself, but probably that's
> another story... ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Kristian
>

> [1] http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I connected my FujiFilm 900 to an USB port and rebooted. I
mounted /dev/sda1 to /mnt/tmp and my pictures were accessible.

/dev/sda0 was already occupied.

BTW this high end point and shoot offers 9.1 megapixel (tops) and also
dcraw.  The only major drawback is the lack of a flash port.

I use Slackware 11.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting