On Thursday 03 May 2007 16:08, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:
> Andrew ha scritto:
> > I'm thinking of moving into the 21st century and getting a bottom-end
> > digital reflex, preferably Pentax for the sake of nostalgia. Can anyone
> > advise me from a technical point of view as to what I need in order to
> > be able to get pictures into GIMP for editing? I use Slackware 11.
>
> I think in general you should check that your camera produces files that
> GIMP can open. If are considering something more than a point-and-shoot
> camera, for example a reflex, and you want the best quality and
> flexibility, sooner or later you will hear about RAW files. These are
> not standard files, every manufacturer produces its own format. You
> should check that a GIMP plugin like UFRaw can open RAW files created by
> your camera in order to convert to tiff or jpeg. I am using my Nikon D80
> without problems with GIMP and UFRaw on Linux.
>
> Fabrizio

I run a Pentax *istDS SLR with Gimp.
The .pef (raw format) files open perfectly with the tools available.
And ofcourse .jpeg's are of no concern as its supported as a "standard".
The SD-cards mount without problems via a small USB reader.
(I have not tried downloading directly from the camera into my computer.)

--
         /Rikard

email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web     : http://www.rikjoh.com