And the really befuddling baffling part is that with some of the stock
images I looked at Gimp seems to read their resolution fine.  So I am
guessing that with these stock images there is some image manipulation
going on, then gimp is correctly reading for them?

But on the pictures from my cameras (I just ran another test with a
different camera) Gimp is bound and determined that the resolution is 72.

If it helps anyone in troubleshooting, the 2 cameras are a Nikon D-70
and a FujiFilm Finepix S5000. Well I just checked with an old mini, an
HP Photosmart 635 - same situation.