On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:46:07 -0600
Bob Meetin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> See example images at www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/broken
>
> The image (vanilla) was taken with an ordinary digital slr.  I know it
> is large - if you check the other image, same problem. It is 300dpi.
> You can see this if checking with  windows image properties or with
> photoshop.  However, when I check in Gimp (2.2) using
>
> Image --> Scale Image
>
> both horizontal and vertical display as 72.
>
> When I load some stock images into Gimp they are correctly display the
> resolution, be it 150, 300, whatever.  So the question, "What is it
> about this image that is fooling gimp?"  Is it a setting in Gimp that I
> might have innocently messed up or other?

You need to look at this dpi thing a bit closer

2048 x 1536 pixels at 72 dpi means an image 24.444 x 21.333 inches.

The same information may be presented as

2048 x 1536 pixels at 300 dpi is an image 6.827 x 5.120 inches

If you look at your Gimp preferences you will see that the default resolution
for presentation is 72 dpi. Change that to 300 dpi and reopen the image
information window.
you will see the size of the picture as above.

As you can see, dpi is fairly meaningless. It is what you want it to be.

What is important is the total information in the image.

Owen