See example images at www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/broken

The image (vanilla) was taken with an ordinary digital slr.  I know it
is large - if you check the other image, same problem. It is 300dpi.
You can see this if checking with  windows image properties or with
photoshop.  However, when I check in Gimp (2.2) using

Image --> Scale Image

both horizontal and vertical display as 72.

When I load some stock images into Gimp they are correctly display the
resolution, be it 150, 300, whatever.  So the question, "What is it
about this image that is fooling gimp?"  Is it a setting in Gimp that I
might have innocently messed up or other?

-Bob