You can use Image->scale image to directly set the DPI.
 In X11 it's possibly to directly set the dpi of the screen; however
if you did that, printing would probably be huge (as patrick says,
typical display devices are 75..100 DPI)

If it were me, I'd write a  script I could use from GIMP to set image
DPI to 300,300. the pdb call needed is
gimp-image-set-resolution (image, 300, 300)