Michael J. Hammel writes:
> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 23:41 +0100, Daniel Hornung wrote:
> > But maybe one of the
> > actual book writers on this list may tell you more. *hint*
> I guess that's my cue.  :-)

Me too :-) except Michael has already covered it so well.
The only thing I'll add is that when I first started, I was
worried about one of Apress' guidelines that said they wanted
a particular dpi, so I started out being careful to set the
dpi after taking screenshots. I was also sending high-resolution
versions of non-screenshot images.

Once we got rolling, it turned out that their layout people scaled
each image to an appropriate size on the page, and nobody really
cared what dpi the images claimed to have. As long as I took normal
GIMP screenshots of reasonably-sized windows, everybody was happy.

The Apress style guide also had warnings about not using Windows
Print Screen, and more warnings about various other programs to
avoid under Windows (mostly color depth issues, I believe).  None
of that was a problem with the GIMP screenshots, which worked fine.

    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional"  http://gimpbook.com