Jason Cipriani wrote:
> I have a second question. If "how do I draw a box?" is a "frequently
> asked question", why isn't there a "draw a box" button on the tool
> palette in GIMP? Is there some historical reason?

Hello

There are a couple of reaons, some of them partly overlap:

* It is possible to draw shapes already (using the techique described).

* It is a big UI task to define exactly how drawing tools should work
and how they should interact with existing tools and workflows in a good
way.

* No one with the right competence has yet found enough interest in
working on this.

Best regards,
Martin Nordholts