Hi,

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 12:07 -0700, First Last wrote:
> I am a new user to GIMP, but haven't for the life of me been able to
> find a way to search the GIMP user manual or help.

There is no search option in the locally installed user manual (yet).
But you can use the search entry in the online version at
http://docs.gimp.org/

>   I'm expecting to see a box where I can enter a word to search for,
> but can't see one and can't find an icon to produce one.  And since
> the doc comes up in a window with no Edit option, there's also no
> Windows-like find in this page option either.

The new help-browser in the 2.6 version of GIMP does provide "find in
this page" functionality though. Just press Ctrl-F to activate it.

Unfortunately the installer that Jernej provides for the Windows
platform does not include the new help-browser plug-in. It seems to be
problematic to build the GTK+ version of webkit on Windows. Hopefully
someone can manage to do this build at some point so that users on the
Windows platform can also benefit from the much improved help browser in
GIMP 2.6.

Sven