On Sunday 19 October 2008, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > I am a new user to GIMP, but haven't for the life of me been able to
> > find a way to search the GIMP user manual or help.
>
> I am interested to learn why you need to search the user manual at all.
>
> We might want to add such a feature, but that requires us to understand
> under what circumstances a user would want to perform a search in the
> user manual and what he/she would be searching for.

Hi,

often information about one topic is scattered around the manual, which
probably can ahrdly be avoided.  As an example, selections are covered in
articles about their tool preference dialogs, the Select menu, the quickmask,
a general introduction (gimp-painting.html), gimp-using-selections.html (the
most asked for on irc) and several others (convert to/from selections).

The articles are well linked between each other, but that's a tedious way of
finding the relevant piece of information.  Probably it's not a real search
that's needed but a link to the index, so here it is (to the original
poster):

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-help-index.html

Another way to search the manual is to use you favourite search engine, google
for example works with search terms like this:

"site:docs.gimp.org/en/ <SEARCH TERM>"

Daniel