>On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 03:58:14PM +0200, Carusoswi wrote:
>> Anyhow, out of curiosity, I did boot up Ubuntu just now, tried Gimp, and
it
>> appears that, somehow, I or my system has installed UFRaw so that when I
try
>> to open a RAW photo, instead of the error message I used to receive,
UFRaw
>> opens the image for me, and I can make adjustments or just click ok after
>> which the photo is loaded into GIMP.
>>
>> My problem is that all photos thus loaded are extrememely fuzzy, as though
>> had hit the entire image with a strong dose of Gaussian.  So, can someone
tell
>> me what I am doing wrong?
>
>What are you comparing to? JPEGs produced by the same camera? If you use
>RAW, many enhancements that your camera normally does are not done,
>among them sharpening. Depending on your camera you might have a setting
>in your camera to select how much sharpening is done on processed
>images.
>
>You can use either the Sharpen filter or Unsharp mask to sharpen your
>imported RAW photo in GIMP.
>
>--
>Ville Patsi

I am comparing to my very similar workflow from within XP (as compared to
Ubuntu).  The difference in XP is that I first open my imaging using Sony's
Image Data Converter that came with the camera.  That application does a
beautiful job of minimizing noise (even from ISO 6400 images).  Then, I either
use CS4 or Gimp to open the file as a tiff.  I never shoot using anything
other than RAW.

In Linux, my only converter options are UFRAW or Lightzone (which I have
stopped using of late).  I cannot even find the noise reduction tool in the
Linux version of UFRaw (not certain there is one).  I've used UFRaw in
Windows, and there is most definitely a noise reduction tool, and I was,
frankly, surprised at what a good job it did.

I know I must have changed some setting that persists in UFRaw from one
session to the next, but doggone if I can figure out what it is.

Any additional suggestions most welcome.   Thanks for the replies.

Caruso
--
Carusoswi