On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 18:09 -0500, Jay Smith wrote:
> b) I would like to find a method to remove color profile parasites on
> thousands of images, via the command line.  You have suggested trying
> "tifftopnm | pnmtotiff" do to this.  I will experiment with that, but I
> have a concern as noted below.

GIMP is the wrong tool for applying a common, single process (re: remove
the color profile) to thousands of files.  For that you would be better
off using the NetPBM or ImageMagick suite of command line tools.

GIMP is the right tool for editing the images, one (or a relatively
small set) at a time, after the color profiles have been removed.

Sven's suggestion of

tifftopnm | pnmtotiff

is nearly literal in how you run it from the command line.  That "|" is
a pipe symbol and means "take the output from the command on the left
and pass to the input of the command on the right".  It's use is
specific to the use of shell environments (such as BASH) and has nothing
to do with GIMP, NetPBM or ImageMagick.  All that is missing in Sven's
example is the input file names and the output file names.  Since there
are thousands of these, you need to write a shell script (or Perl or
Python or some other scripting language) to iterate over the existing
file names and generate new file names.

However, BASH, NetPNM and ImageMagick are not part of GIMP.  For
specific help on these you should visit their web sites and/or join a
discussion group specific to those tools.

To answer your specific question:  no, you don't want to use GIMP to
remove the color profiles from your thousands of images.  It's the wrong
tool to do that.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjham...@graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org