Martin Nordholts writes:
> Ken Warner wrote:
> > Yeah, I hate that too.  What's the point of having a floating window
> > if you can never bring it to the top of the stack?
>
> Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management, change the toolbox and dock
> hints to 'Normal window'

Except that you can't use that in GIMP 2.7 on a lot of window
managers, due to GIMP's bug 556896.  With "Normal window", if you
ever change desktops, the toolbox and all docks disappear, and it's
not easy to get them back.

So the "Normal window" setting really isn't usable any more, and
the only choice is to put up with the Toolbox covering part of the
image window.

        ...Akkana