On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/29 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+g...@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Nathan Lane <nathamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> W3C does only go over the very basics of everything they offer. Which may
>>> make it silly.
>>
>> You mean w3schools? :) The names are confusing...
>>
>> Anyway when I need a HTML or CSS reference I go straight to the source:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/
>
> Needless to say there are sources with the same information, but that
> are easier on the eyes.
>
> This is the syntax of the A element according to the W3C source:
>
> <!ELEMENT A - - (%inline;)* -(A)       -- anchor -->
> <!ATTLIST A
>  %attrs;                              -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
>  charset     %Charset;      #IMPLIED  -- char encoding of linked resource --
>  type        %ContentType;  #IMPLIED  -- advisory content type --
>  name        CDATA          #IMPLIED  -- named link end --
>  href        %URI;          #IMPLIED  -- URI for linked resource --
>  hreflang    %LanguageCode; #IMPLIED  -- language code --
>  rel         %LinkTypes;    #IMPLIED  -- forward link types --
>  rev         %LinkTypes;    #IMPLIED  -- reverse link types --
>  accesskey   %Character;    #IMPLIED  -- accessibility key character --
>  shape       %Shape;        rect      -- for use with client-side image maps
> --
>  coords      %Coords;       #IMPLIED  -- for use with client-side image maps
> --
>  tabindex    NUMBER         #IMPLIED  -- position in tabbing order --
>  onfocus     %Script;       #IMPLIED  -- the element got the focus --
>  onblur      %Script;       #IMPLIED  -- the element lost the focus --
>  >

Well, that is its definition from the DTD, which is what the document
is describing in the first place. They are taking the whole DTD and
going over each part piece by piece. You forgot to include the rest of
the chapter which explains what all of that means and has several
pages of human-language descriptions, examples and explanations about
all of it. :)