>Quoting Brian <for...@gimpusers.com>:
>
>> I'm working on an image that has many layers, including one for
>> outlines, fill
>> colors, shading, etc. I want to cut and paste a particular portion of the
>> image to another part of the image because I don't like the current
>> placement.
>> However, the only way I can figure out to do this is by cutting and
pasting
>> the same selection on each layer and lining up all the parts.
>>
>> Is there any way to cut "through" the image, so to speak, so that all
visible
>> layers below the selection are cut at once, and then when I paste the
>> selection somewhere else in the image, each part is pasted into its
>> respective
>> layer (i.e., the outline is pasted onto the outline layer, shading onto
the
>> shading layer, etc.)?
>>
>> Or is there any type of script available that might help me achieve this?
>
>I wrote a script a few years back which added a "Float Linked Layers"
>command that floated the selection on each linked layer, producing a
>new layer above each of the linked layers. This set of floated layers
>are all linked (the original layers are unlinked) so that you can move
>them all at the same time.
>
>Once the linked layers have been repositioned, a second script called
>"Merge Down Linked Layers" will merge each of the floated layers back
>onto its original layer.
>
>I believe the script will still work with newer version of GIMP (it
>was written for v2.4) but you might want to put elsewhere in the menus.
>

>http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/deep-float.scm

Wow, that does EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much! Do you know
if there's an easy way to modify the script so that it could create a copy of
the selection rather than cutting it? Then I could have one script for copying
and one for cutting.

Thanks again; this was a huge help!

--
Brian (via www.gimpusers.com)