Quoting Brian <for...@gimpusers.com>:

> Wow, that does EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much! Do you know
> if there's an easy way to modify the script so that it could create a copy of
> the selection rather than cutting it? Then I could have one script
> for copying and one for cutting.

That would be rather simple but I won't be able to get to it until
maybe this weekend (besides, a complete re-write is called for since
that old code looks embarrassingly ugly given my improved
understanding of Script-fu I've attained since it was written).

One question I would ask is whether cut out portions of layers should
become transparent -- even if the layer does not initially have an
alpha channel. This to me would seem a reasonable assumption but it
might be preferable to fill the selected region with the background
color if the layer has no alpha channel.