On Sunday 21 February 2010, Frank Gore wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Dick Smith <dsmit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, if the $140 printer won't print on linux, then there is lttle to
>> be gained by purchasing one.
>
>I always check for proper Linux support first. There are very few HP
>printers that aren't perfectly supported under Linux. My Color
>LaserJet 2840 does everything in Linux flawlessly, from printing to
>faxing to scanning and even remote-initiated copies (wtf is the point
>of that, anyways?), all over the network. I couldn't even get it to do
>those things reliably under Windows.
>
>On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> And if you ever have shootout comparing that HP to the others, from my
>> experience an Epson ink squirter will be the last man standing.  An old 4
>> color C82 made prints of weddings good enough to sell, with closer color
>> matching than the so called pro who farms his stuff out to the "custom
>> lab" in his local CVS.  HP's red dye is way too orange to suit me.
>> That's how they get the brightness, yes, but that isn't a true red no
>> matter how much ink you soak the paper with.  Sadly, the C82 finally
>> burned out its head, so there is now an NX515 sitting here, but I need to
>> do a bit of fine tuning, the drivers are a bit old too.
>
>That's interesting! I've been doing tons more photography lately, and
>Gimp has become a much more useful tool as a result. I'm definitely
>looking for something with good colour fidelity, so I'll have to check
>out the options. It's just hard to beat HP's Linux support. Even the
>printers they don't officially support (of which there are few) tend
>to work flawlessly anyways. I've been burned in this department before
>with cheap Lexmark printers.

Lexmark?  Oops, sorry, but now we're both guilty, so I'll be right behind you
in the line to warsh my mouth out with some of grandma's lye soap.  They
obviously have more lawyers than engineers, and will sue anyone who says
differently.  Be advised their warranty is null and void if its ever been
hooked up to a linux box.  Been there, learned  that, but the lesson cost me
a bit over 100 USD for that class's tuition.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.