I'm new to both linux and the gimp - and will be picking up a scanner
shortly. I've got SuSE 6.2 - a stripped down version that came with the
SuSE for Dummies book, which had Gimp 1.1.7 with it.

(Please don't tell me to upgrade - I'm not confident enough yet to install
a new version, and except for some script-fu bugs, it's working pretty

Anyhow, any suggestions out there for a scanner? There are several listed
in the book, but I thought I'd see what suggestions might come my way, as
it's a bit outdated.

I don't need anything particularly elaborate - my work will consist of
scanning a few photos and rough sketches.