I dislike stories where exceptional talent suddenly
breaks out (like Joey Bettany.  Writing is very much a
sideline, to be done occasionally, until she leaves
school.  Certainly not "the breath of life" to her!).
But Rachel *doesn't* suddenly develop acting talent.
Remember in the play (Wind in the Willows) in
Folkestone, where she was Ratty, but Hilary was only a
Wild Wood-er?  The teachers there must have seen
talent in her then.
   I suspect that she was excellent in the play at the
end because she felt at home in the part.  A sequel to
Wintle's Wonders might have shown Rachel having less
success in other roles, because they didn't suit her
as well.
   This isn't meant to be argumentative, Nicky - it's
just that I've been re-reading the book, and I noticed
the early evidence of her talent.
   Allison
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]