Well ehhh. I feel somewhat ashamed right now ....
When I followed your last instructions I stumbled upon a few hardlinks in
the tar-file from my original source. And, as I understood Git treats these
hardlinks as separate files. And yes, in the tar-file from Git I found a
few exact copy's for several binaries. But now all with a unique
inode-number, wheras these files in the original tar-file had the same
So, case closed I think. Now I now my target will still function 100% with
its filesystem from Git, but several files will be present as 100%
duplicates, thus using up more memory. But luckily I've got more than
enough flash !
Perhaps In the near future I'm gonna try one of the following :
1) Use pre- & post-scripts in Git to prepare the source (undo it from
hardlinks, replace them with soft ones)
2) Look for a third party tool that does this for me
3) Take a look at SVN or Mercurial to see if this could be more suitable
for this specific goal (although I realy would like to stick to Git !)
Many, many thanks for all your help !
Op woensdag 21 augustus 2013 19:44:53 UTC+2 schreef Dale Worley:
> > The files that I suspect are all compiled without stripping (debug
> > present in the file). When I delete all these files the size of my
> > from the original filesystem is nearly the same as the one made from the
> > git checkout.
> Here some things to check:
> Produce tar files rather than tar.gz files and see if the size
> difference is still present. The ordering of files in a tar file
> might affect how efficient the compression is.
> Get a directory listing of both tar files (-tv) and see if they
> contain exactly the same files, and with exactly the same lengths.
> Do a tree file comparison between the files that go into the original
> tar and the ones that go into the new tar.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git
for human beings" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.