In a message dated 4/8/02 7:53:32 PM, Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> I do not see quantity of time spent on a computer as necessarily having
> any particular significance to a students future prospects, (unless it
> is truly miniscule, or the student fully intends to complete tertiary
> studies and enter the IT industry), rather I view the quality of tuition
> and tasks performed by the student as elements offering the highest
> degree of pay-back.

I have gone to schools in other countries where the professor and his
notes are the resident knowledge, which did or did not reflect the
knowledge in the  field. You also are talking about a student
generically. Students in a class  are usually very diverse. There are
students who may already know the subject  well, who have read and
learned a lot and who would be further interested in  the subject based
on their ability to aquire resources, contacts, materials,  and other
types of learning.

We could use space science, medicine, earthscience, and or literature as
a test case. Though there are a lot of titled individuals who are quite
skilled in teaching and learning , there is no one teacher who is the
respository of all  knowledge. The Internet does not contain all
knowledge either, but to an  interested student at any level with
requisite skills, there is a treasure  chest of experts, websites,
references, magazines and ideational scaffolding  for learning.

Bonnie Bracey