Dear GKD Members,

I'm glad to see that Yacine's intervention has opened up the debate
somewhat to include a consideration of the role of ICTs in society.
However, I think it's still important to point out the need to not be
technologically deterministic when considering the role of ICTs in
society. I agree with Luis Eliecer's contribution, we need to see
technologies as means to ends. I've been prompted to make this
contribution after looking at some evaluation Panos has done of some of
its work in Southern Africa using the (albeit non ICT) technology of
radio. It is quite clear that Panos' particular use of radio involving a
system of listening clubs to facilitate discussion and intervene in the
broadcaster/listener relationship has achieved at least one of its
objectives in empowering women to take part in broader discussion on
issues of concern to them. This empowerment has also enabled them to
take part in other fora and to take on leadership roles beyond the scope
of the project facilitated by the particular media technology concerned.
For the purposes of this discussion I'd like to see more evidence of
understanding of just how ICTs are being and can be used to empower the
poor and marginalised in the majority world.

Alec Leggat

Project Development
Panos London
9 White Lion Street